Friday, November 20, 2009

20,092

I did it! I have astounded myself at how much I can achieve in such a short time when I really set my mind to it. Denying myself internet distractions probably helped as well. I can't pat myself on the back too much because A) don't want to overextend my shoulder and B) according to my "Daily Goal" I should be at around 30,300 by today. Blast. Well, since I will not be in CA on Sunday night to participate in their write-a-thon "A Night of Writing Dangerously" I'm going to have my own. Probably not six hours long, my friends and family may become concerned, but I will try to have.... 35,000 words by Monday. That is terrifying, but I must do it. I wrote 5000 words in two days and about 10,000 this week. I can totally write... 15,000 in three days. Maybe. But I'm supposed to go to a movie on Saturday. Well it's a goal, okay, it's what I'm aiming for.
My reward for being so diligent is to review the latter half of "Raditude" and post some of my favorite thread names from the NaNoWriMo site.
First: "Raditude"- "Trippin' Down the Freeway" is a little more... Green Album to me maybe, not overly impressed, but it captures some of that classic "awkward with women and relationships" feeling the Weezer is master of. Catchy though.
"Love is the Answer" was very experimental. It was in a Bollywood style, which isn't a bad thing, I actually went through a Bollywood movie phase and still secretly love settling in with one occasionally. The song is very mellow and distinctly not cynical or self depreciating which is refreshing to hear on a Weezer album. Amrita Sen offers her vocals to the track and sounds beautiful.
"Let it all Hang Out" captures a very current feeling among the public. The need to go out on the weekend and let loose, there are multiple references to the recession and the stress from everyday life connected to it. Although, on the surface not an especially poignant song, it may be an important hallmark of the attitude of the times- and they make a reference to Vitamin Water which makes me happy.
"In the Mall" is a driving anthem about shenanigans in the mall. Eh, okay.
"I Don't Want to Let You Go" brings back more serious undertones touched on in "Put Me Back Together" showing a deeper emotional realm than most of the other songs. The only thing on the album I would refer to as a ballad. I think River's voice sounds fantastic on it too, but I just love his voice which this song really showcases.
Overall I give this album a B. There are a couple fantastic songs that I have unintentionally found myself singing in the shower and a few are just okay. I do see levels of experiementation along with a return to some of their earlier sound. Maybe this is a stepping stone toward a new era of Weezer...
Okay now for funny thread names- all are from various participants of NaNoWriMo, none of them belong to me or are created by me:
The Pros and Cons of Believing Santa Claus
Medieval Backpacks
Weird, Gross, and Creepy Mythology
My character threw away all her anti-depressants, now what happens?
Help give my character personality
Evil/Horrible Things that the British Invented
Raves!
I need to blow up a bridge!!!
Instant stabby death

These are gems. I still maintain that their forums alone are reason enough to do NaNo.
Agenda for the weekend looks like:
1. Where the Wild Things Are (I hope!)
2. Robin Hood
3. Collision part 2
4. 15,000 words
Maybe I'll sleep at some point. Talk to you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment