Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week Two Blues

This condition has swept the NaNo community, coming in to week two and worrying about holding up your plot while holding up your life.
My word count is solid, but again, I'm going to have to back off this weekend because I have three research papers to write over the next week and a half and an new interp piece to get on its feet before the next Forensic Speech Tournament which is... oh yeah, just over a week away. Gah.
I know I need to prioritize, but my novel is really important to me. I appreciate and enjoy my literature classes, but in the end I want to be a writer and I need to develop those skills. Not the essay and research paper writing skills, but the creative writing skills. There is no class in the program that actually forces you to write a whole novel- this is my independent study of sorts (if only I were getting credit for it).
NaNo is probably more hands on training for a career as a writer than all my research papers because I really don't think I'm going to become a literary critic or professor or anything like that, I just don't think it suits me.
I'm just annoyed and stressed. My Forensics coach told me to ease off on my novel and I totally get why he said so, but I really wish I didn't have to choose. I wish I wasn't so crazy busy.

5 comments:

  1. It's brilliant writing training to do NaNo I think. :) I'm one day behind on my Jane Eyre story, and another 1200 words on the joint project today and we've cleared day six. Too busy for Week Two Blues! And with the joint project, way too excited. All good fun and a good way of exercising both minds and fingers. <3 Wishing you continued good luck with your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about creative writing skills is that you *don't* (necessarily) need college to finetune them. So while it can be frustrating to put NaNoWriMo on the back burner, consider the focus on your schoolwork an investment in marketable skills that will keep you funded enough to BE writing in that middle stage between the end of college and the beginning of your writer fame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful!!!Don't ever forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for your kind encouragement!
    Rebecca- I like the way you think, "my writer fame"- I hope.
    Allie! You're such a sweetie, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are incredible with all that you are juggling while keeping your mind sharp and clever! I am truly fascinated by the fiction writer!

    ReplyDelete