Sunday, July 25, 2010

Check In

It has been an incredibly busy week, but along the way I've had time to think about my priorities, get to know a fantastic couple from Massachusetts and have some amazing ice cream. The couple are friends of friends I've met briefly before, but spending the better part of several days with them has really helped me know them and vice versa.
Because of my incredibly head wrecking childhood compounded by years at art school I fear my social skills are not up to par. It often causes anxiety and excessive analysis on my part and sometimes causes feelings of awkwardness in others. However, I really got along well with the couple. They are a bit older than me and the man reminds me of my older brother, I remind him of his little sister, so we had a fun sibling-like repartee from the beginning. His wife is a lovely woman who is tender, sincere and funny. Best of all, he tells great stories. Their adventures buying cars, travelling abroad, growing up with large numbers of siblings were all shared. I love people that can tell good stories and are open to experiences that make good stories- it's the writer and reader in me I suppose. They entertained me for hours and I feel I did a decent job entertaining them. And yeah, we went out for ice cream twice this weekend and I don't feel bad.
I hope to visit them this winter, I told them I've always wanted to see Boston and they live fairly close to the city. They invited me to come for a few days- it would be a long, multi-hour drive for me, but I think it would be worth it. I really want to get some travel under my belt while I'm young and single- hopefully some international travel soon, but definitely to places in the country that I've always wanted to visit.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when you feel a real connection with new people! I, too, am prone to over-analyzing, so I think I understand what you are saying.

    As soon as I win in a lottery, I'll buy you a plane ticket here, so you'll get to do some international travel. I mean, only if you want to, of course ;)
    *Neci*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'd love to! When I finally finish my degree, my father said he'd help pay my way to Ireland, so that's a start. It's a few years off though, so I'm trying to get things together for a trip to Canada next year, it's a small step in the right direction.
    How have you been Neci? It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've been enjoying a summer vacation lately, which for me means "not really doing anything" :). Eating ice cream, blowing bubbles from my balcony and going for leisurely walks with my camera... isn't that enough?

    Now that problems with my internet connection have been solved, I might end up spending more time online (hopefully not too much, as the weather is gorgeous here).
    *Neci*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like plenty to me. I love taking walks around my town, it's so small and quiet. Now my friends are trying to talk me into training for a 5k with them this fall. I might train, but I don't think I'm going to compete, it brings back too many memories from childhood gym class.
    I hope the weather stays well for you.

    ReplyDelete