Monday, November 21, 2011

A Writer Recharges

After my mini crisis last week, I quit NaNoWriMo (gasp!). I am reassembling myself and my thoughts, and especially my writing. I think I just need to reinvigorate my work. I now find myself working on a play I started a while ago. Playwriting is certainly not a profitable direction, but I can't write with selling as the point. Writing has to be the point.
The play is an hour long farce, and I'm having fun. Writing needs to be be fun again. I find that letting myself relax and enjoy what I'm doing helps the ideas flow. As a young writer, I'm still finding my methods and my niche. I'm not off making my own living yet, I still have some time to flush out my writing.
There will be plenty of pressure later.
So, I'm doing plenty of reading, writing a little everyday, and trying to get out of the house more.

3 comments:

  1. Don't blame you. Haven't written anything since the 9th, and have stopped at 15 580 words. Haven't given up, as such, it's just that I didn't have a properly formed idea before I started, and now that I have, I'm starting to figure stuff out - which includes the structure ... which is vastly different to what I've been doing so far. So I'm kinda stopping the NaNo part and gone back to the planning stage instead, and once I'm ready, I'll start writing again. No point in trying to write 1700 words a day and feel stressed when that doesn't happen when I hardly know what's meant to happen or why!

    Good luck with your other writing. :) Have you considered publishing your works on Kindle? That might be an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not alone, I'm not giving up on the story, just on trying to force another 30,000 words out of it.
    From the start, I felt like it would make a better novella anyway.
    I have considered the self-publishing thing, especially since ebooks make it so much easier, but I really want to try traditional methods first because self-publishing is such a gamble. Besides, I've always had the desire to actually hold my book in my hands in printed form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the play. As for NaNo, I think you did the right thing. I know I've said this before, but I think the "50,000 words in a month" pressure is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete