Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Things I have learned from Sherlock Holmes

I've been reading a lot of early Holmes such as The Sign of Four and the Adventures/Memoirs and here are some things I have learned from these great Doyle stories (other than "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" of course- I already knew that from Study in Scarlet)
-I've learned to fear receiving five dried orange seeds in the mail.
-Significant conversations are often had on trains.
-The likeliest murderer is never the murderer.
-Disguises are best used often and are extremely effective.
-War wounds tend to migrate.
-You can judge a man by his pipe.
-People often carry a large collection of significant items in their coat pockets at the time of their death
-In Watson's timeline, things often happen out of order (time traveler I have to assume)
-The motives of women are inscrutable.

And finally: Sherlock Holmes is not always right (!) "If it should ever strike you that I am getting a little overconfident in my powers, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper 'Norbury' in my ear, and I shall be infinitely obliged to you."- The Yellow Face
It was inevitable.

2 comments:

  1. I've just started, and am almost through Memoirs. Here's a few I've picked up.

    - Woe betide dependent young women with inherited incomes.
    - An offer of quick and easy money is too good to be true.
    - Lacking a body, doubt the murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great!
    Oh and don't forget that murderers always make lengthy confessions when caught, explaining every detail of the crime as well as their motives.

    ReplyDelete