Monday, May 3, 2010

Poetry Recovery Month?

As Jane Austen said:
“She thought it was the misfortune of poetry to be seldom safely enjoyed by those who enjoyed it completely; and that the strong feelings which alone could estimate it truly were the very feelings which ought to taste it but sparingly”

In other words, too much poetry is not a good thing when it comes to being sensible. (ooh... is this a debate between sense and sensibility? I digress.)
So this month I am dedicating myself to reading a healthy amount of prose to counteract all the romantic notions I've probably got in my head after a month of so very much poetry. So, I'll be getting a jump on my summer reading. The title of my list this year is "Don't be so ignorant." Things I've been meaning to read, have heard referenced constantly, and really should know being an English major. Although there are some European authors on the list (like James Joyce), I'm going to try and fill the deficit in my knowledge of American literature. I have never read The Great Gatsby. I know. My shame is deep.
Now what book to dive into first?
Oh, and I did call my grandmother (see post below). She was delighted and assures me that I won't need to remind her about the program, this she'll remember. Sometimes she calls me by my brother's name, but this, she'll remember. Ah well, it'll brighten her summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment