Saturday, April 28, 2012

National Poetry Month: Me.

As a special for National Poetry Month, this is a poem I wrote for a class a few weeks back.
"A Tryst in the Greenery"

A single crimson droplet seeps to the surface
Trembling on the edge of my fingertip and
It is drawn into the fabric of my sweater,
Absorbed into the fine weave.
The thorny prickled bushes snatch at my hair
And entwine their arms with mine.
My cheeks are scratched,
Clawed by unseen hands.

There are flowers blooming in the dark,
Vines whithering untouched
And trees torn while still golden.
A tomato dangles on a whiskered stem
Soft orange, not yet ripe,
But the underside is blackening
Dying inside already.
And where are you?

So what do you guys think? I don't share a lot of my creative writing on here, but I rather liked this poem.

2 comments:

  1. Very vivid imagery, and I really like how it creates a subtly disturbing effect -- the blood, the blackened tomato. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was attempting to create an eerie perversion of what are usually classically beautiful images. The decay of the garden and the decay of the relationship are parallel. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete