Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mind Your Manners: Rude People Online

I almost hesitate to post this because my experience as a blogger has been very positive, my small audience has always been excessively polite and supportive, but this is not the case on many websites. I've been noticing so many websites and message boards that are just overrun with trolls. Disagreement, spirited debate, a communion of ideas; that is what these places should house.
There have been some posters that are just purposely provoking for no good reason. There was a poster on a board I used to visit (I haven't been on in over a year, too negative on there now) who would post topics just to spark political arguments that had nothing to do with the subject of the board. She was obnoxious. There is a time and a place for certain discussions and in the wide world of the Internet, you can find those places, so don't plague other boards with it. Sites with posts about mental illness often have cruel remarks as well, how insensitive can people get? I've had so many negative people in my life that I have struggled to overcome, I don't want to deal with them in the virtual plain as well. My only question is, why? Why do they waste the time and energy to make other people miserable? Can't we make our efforts toward positivity instead? What do they gain from beating down strangers about nonsense? They must truly have issues within themselves.
Sorry for the rant, but it is a depressing thing to encounter again and again. Many sites, I simply stop visiting, it's no longer worth it. I hope that other posters will just not respond to them, but sometimes it's hard not to say something and hence, the beast is fed. Of course there are many safe havens with very little drama and I appreciate them, but the crazy always seems to out weigh the sane lately.
....out with the bad. I'm going to cuddle my calico now.

No comments:

Post a Comment